Saturday 15 January 2011

I went to the seaside to see what I could see and what I saw was some sand sculptures

These articles are reprints from redbubble.com and the BBCN community paper that i'm showcasing over the Christmas / Summer break  First published April 7 2008



The title says it all really.
It’s not very often I will voluntary travel to Frankston for anything but I was up bright and early to visit the annual Sandstorm sculpturing exhibition on the foreshore of Frankston beach before its season was up.
The Sandstorm (Sand sculpturing Australia) theme this year was Fairytales and Fables.
A massive display of the imagination where no expense was spared on the detail or size.

Gulliver’s Travels

Snow While & the Seven Dwarfs

The Wizard of OZ

This massive piece was completely covered on all four sides with references to Nursery Rhymes and stood 8 metres tall.

The Iron Gian
This was my favourite
I always wanted a cubby house like this as a kid minus the child eating witch of course

(Hansel & Gretel)
I was explaining to my kids how the word Gay had a whole different meaning back when I was a kid and had a whole different meaning when used quite frequently in childrens tales.
These sculptures made the kids doubt my story.


(The Emperor’s New Clothes)

(Puss in boots)
Anybody living in Victoria Australia will be aware of the vicious winds that we endured last week.
This house was a victim, surprisingly most of the other sand sculptures survived due to the density of the sand and the construction method.
There were also references to modern day interpretations of Children’s stories as we all know every fairy tale is actually a cautionary tale or a lesson on acceptance.
I decided to put my own spin on to Alice in Wonderland and called it
Alice at the Crack house.

Alice off her face

Alice is refused Crack because she has no funds to help her addiction

Alice is driven to solicit her body to raise cash for more crack.

The impending death of Goldilocks- housebreaker and thief.

This unfortunately placed piece of seagull poo reminded me of an old joke

Littlest Mermaid: “How’s my car?
Mechanic: “It’s fine. You’ve just blown a seal”
LM: Uhhh.. No .. I just had an ice cream
After having an enjoyable outing I left with a sense of regret.
I wished I could be here when they had to close the exhibition.
How cool would it be to kick down all those sculptures?